Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Year one comes to a close...

Sorry, I forgot about May!

So, it is now June 8, 2011, and in one week (on June 15th) I will have been in Honduras for one whole year. In some ways it went fast, and in some ways it went slow! But either way, it was wonderful- difficult, challenging, tiring, but wonderful=) Some thoughts...

HONDURAS LESSONS LEARNED (in no particular order)

1. It is not as easy as it sounds. Whenever I used to say, "I am going to go to Honduras and teach English for a couple years and help at the Hogar", it sounded so simple. But, I had not considered the trials of teaching, the heavy schedule, the emotional situations that I would encounter, or the cultural differences that would make everything just a little more difficult. I think that if it were not for the Lord constantly reminding me that He has compassion on us even when we are ridiculous, I would have lost my patience a long time ago. But in our weaknesses Christ was gracious to forgive, thus, we move forward in his strength!!

"But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me." 2Corinthians 12:9-10

2. It is easy to be a talker and not a doer, even on the mission field. Sometimes I have lists upon lists and talk after talk of how things need to change or how someone else needs to learn something or how we need to teach this or that. And it gets so frustrating, especially when I do nothing about it. I have learned that you cannot expect people to understand overnight, and you cannot ever expect them to understand if you don't talk to them. We must communicate and teach and live lives that help people understand, not just make lists of all the areas where we are struggling.

3. I have a long way to go to be competitive at soccer here. I don't think that requires an explanation... I probably have a long way to go to be competitive at soccer back home, too.

4. Mangos are the best fruit ever, but their peel contains an oil that is in the poison ivy family. Thus, if you are allergic to poison ivy, not a good idea to eat mangos. But, if you just can't resist, have someone who is not allergic to mangos put them in chlorine water for 15 minutes, and peel them, and you are good to go! (Thanks Ashley...don't know what I will do without you next year!!)

5. God is good, and He provides just what we need, when we need it, so that we can proclaim His glory and work for the good of His people! There are so many examples of this, but the most recent is this: my parents needed to buy a very expensive medicine for one of their babies, who has a weak respiratory system. They were able to buy last month's medicine because they ended up with extra money in their budget. They weren't sure about this month's, but yesterday, one of my friends and fellow teachers from school gave them $100 from her dad's Sabbath school class! How amazing is our God?! We worry and stress and plan and plan, but really, we just need to have faith in God our Provider.
"See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dress like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is cast into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?" Matthew 6:28-30

No comments:

Post a Comment